A FISH FINGER SANDWICH FIT FOR A QUEEN
- Birds Eye creates world’s most expensive fish finger sandwich to celebrate Her Majesty’s 90th birthday
- Including caviar, edible gold leaf and saffron mayonnaise, the sandwich is valued at £187
- Birds Eye is offering to deliver it to The Queen in the run up to celebrations
Leading frozen food brand, Birds Eye, has created the world’s most expensive fish finger sandwich in celebration of Her Majesty’s 90th birthday.
The sandwich includes delicacies such as sweet caviar, creamy saffron mayonnaise and edible gold leaf-encrusted fish fingers, making it fit for a Queen and the perfect addition to the dining table at Buckingham Palace.
Boasting other expensive ingredients such as artisan bread, blanched asparagus spears and a posy of edible violets, Birds Eye’s most exclusive fish finger sandwich is valued at approximately £187 (recipe supplied).
Created by Birds Eye Head Chef and ex-Savoy Hotel Head Chef, Peter Lack, the royal recipe provides Brits with the ultimate way to celebrate in the lead-up to the festivities for Her Majesty on Sunday 12 June.
Peter Lack comments: “Creating a recipe fit for The Queen, using fish fingers, one of the UK’s most-loved products, gave me the chance to be bring a bit of royal flair to Birds Eye. Some of the finest ingredients from around the world have been used to create this fabulous sandwich. The flavours were chosen for their individual taste notes and marry perfectly together.
“We would be delighted to deliver it to Her Majesty as we think it would be the perfect way to celebrate her birthday.”
To help Brits create their own Royal fish finger sandwich at home, Birds Eye has released a limited edition pack of Cod Save The Queen fish fingers (pack of 12), available from 6th June at Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda and Morrisons with a RSP of £2.49.
Steve Chantry, Birds Eye Marketing Director, comments: “Birds Eye fish fingers are loved by families from across the country; why should it be any different for the figurehead of the most famous family of all!
“So from one national treasure to another, Birds Eye wants to wish Her Majesty a very happy 90th birthday with a sandwich that blends a much-loved British staple with all the royal trimmings.”
Birds Eye press contacts:
For further information, please contact the Birds Eye team at Mischief on 020 3128 6600 or email email@example.com
Birds Eye’s Most Expensive Fish Finger Sandwich Recipe:
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking + Creation: 15 minutes
For the sandwich
- 4 Birds Eye Cod Save The Queen fish fingers
- 3 slices of crusty, artisan bread
- Handful of mixed baby lettuce leaves
- 4 spears of blanched asparagus
- 1 green baby heritage tomato
- 1 red baby heritage tomato
- 1 yellow baby heritage tomato
- 1 purple baby heritage tomato
- One small pickled beetroot, sliced
- 2 sheets of gold leaf, for wrapping fish fingers
For the saffron mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- A few threads of saffron
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice (from a jar of sweet gherkin pickles)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 100 ml of good vegetable oil
For the decoration
- 3 dollops of salmon caviar
- Edible violets
- Edible gold leaf
- Cook 4 Birds Eye Cod Save The Queen fish fingers as per pack instructions.
- Soak the saffron in 1 tablespoon of pickle juice in a small bowl for 15 minutes.
- To make the mayonnaise, place all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor and blend adding the oil in a steady slow stream until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Slice the spears of asparagus in half and place in a saucepan of boiling water until just cooked. Refresh in cold water to keep them nice and green.
- Cut 3 slices of the crusty, artisan bread. Start assembling the sandwich by laying the bottom piece of bread on a flat surface. Spread a fine layer of mayonnaise over the bread and top with mixed lettuce leaves, thinly-sliced heritage tomatoes, sliced beetroot and the sliced asparagus.
- Spread the mayonnaise over both sides of the next slice of bread and place on top of the salad.
- Using two sheets of gold leaf, wrap two of the cooked fish fingers until half-coated in gold.
- Lay the fish fingers on the bread and top with mixed lettuce leaves.
- Spread mayonnaise on the last piece of bread and place on top as a lid.
- To make your sandwich extra special, sprinkle the top slice of bread with edible gold leaf and dollops of salmon caviar. Decorate with edible violets, and voila! You’re ready to entertain The Queen for tea.